Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Nostalgic Dreams

Hello,


My name is Elizabeth and I own and operate Nostalgic Dreams (with a little help from my family and partner) and love all things vintage.  I believe that vintage is a form of nostalgia and I also believe that nostalgia is what has made us who we are today; all of us.  Everyone had a mom and dad at some point-they came before you, a grandpa and grandma-they came before you...and so on and so forth.  Nostalgic is defined as: 


nos·tal·gic

  [no-stal-jik nuh]  
–adjective
experiencing or exhibiting nostalgia a sentimental or wistfulyearning for the happiness felt in a former place, time, or situation.

I believe that we all long for a part of our past, no matter when/where it may be or whom may be part of it.  If you have followed my blog for awhile, you know that I love vintage or nostalgic items.  Items that take me back to a simpler, easier time in life where there are so many memories that make us feel happier, more in control.  If you have seen some of the things that I have created, a lot of these use vintage or nostalgic items.  I want to be able to reuse, recycle or re-purpose items so that they may become a useful part of someone else's life other than the one for which they were originally intended.  Here are a couple of things to prove my point below.  

This was found on freecycle (freecycle.org) freecycle's main goal is to keep things OUT of landfills and for them to be useful again.  It is free to use and is a world wide organization so check them out!





Okay, hubby and I went out yard saleing one day (I don't think it's a word but there ya go) and I found these items.  Spent no more than $65 that day and brought home oodles of good things!  Yard sales, flea markets, garage sales, estate sales, etc are all a good source of usable items with plenty of life left to them.




These are vintage doilies that I have acquired through estate sales, yard sales, etc.  They are perfectly usable!





I know this is a little out of the ordinary, but this is actually a terrarium...not a milk jug!  lol  Okay, okay, STARTED OUT as a milk jug but made it's way to a terrarium.  








Here are a few baskets that have been "recycled".  My partner brought them from TN when he visited last time and this is only HALF!  lol  I still have another load like this up in the attic.  I bleach and wash them before I use them and then some of them end up like this...



And this is only a portion of what some of the things turn into.  This little basket has a vintage crochet doily, has some cookies, tea, a silver plated teaspoon, a linen napkin and lots of love.  All (except for the food-it is new) was found at one of the locations above and you can hardly tell it was EVER used before!  I package it all up in a little basket with a bow and anchor EVERYTHING down so that we don't have any transit issues.  And there ya go.  





Both of the next two items were made out of vintage bedspreads.  








I guess the point I am trying to make is that when you see something that is discarded, some thing that looks like it has no life left in it, look again and REALLY search to see if you can find something else inside of it. 




You might be surprised!




*hugz n blessings*
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment