Monday, October 17, 2011

Irony of Ironing

Vintage Sprinkler
All 50 Doilies and Handkerchiefs











I have been fortunate in my lifetime, so much so that my parents actually got to choose me when I was born.  lol  Yes, I was adopted and have not an issue at all with it, or my biological parents.  God does what He does for a reason and we aren't to second guess Him!  This all to say that my mom and my mother are great people (yes I know my real mom-and am happy!) and earlier this year my mom and dad came to visit from Oklahoma when my son graduated from high school.  I was so glad to be able to spend time with them, I don't get to do it enough.  My mom has always tried to get me to appreciate all the things around me, from nature, to people, and even more so the things that were here before I was, especially traditions.  All those stated above have a place in our lives and our hearts and have made us who we are today-in one way or another.  

When she came to visit, she and I went to a little tea shop in Waynesboro and were met by the most lovely woman who owns the shop.  She shared a wonderful banana chocolate chip bread recipe with us and invited us to search her shop...and we did, high to low and all in between.  It was filled with vintage items including hats, lace gloves, tea sets, different teas and more.  It was absolutely heaven on earth.  We had to be home at a certain time so we couldn't stay for tea this time (will go next time) and we headed out.  On the way home we saw a sign at St. Rita's Catholic Church for their annual Attic Treasures bazaar.  I knew we only had a few moments so we ducked inside, looked around and low and behold there it was, the sprinkler of my dreams!  I had one problem though, I didn't bring scads of bucks with me that day, was in a bit of a hurry so I had to let it be so we left and went on our merry little way.  When I got home she handed the newspaper wrapped package and I opened it___I almost cried!  She had gotten me that little sprinkler.  I couldn't believe it.  

Well, as my mom can tell you, I NEVER liked ironing things when I was younger.  I despised, detested, loathed, abhorred, well, HATED ironing.  But...since I have become a "grown up" I have taken on a different outlook.  I feel such a sense of accomplishment when things are crisp and beautiful after they have been ironed.   These doilies and handkerchiefs are to me a part of history that need to be taken care of properly and to me, they had to be crisp and ironed.  They are beautiful and I am so proud that I was able to help make them that way.  Everything that I hope to accomplish at Nostalgic Dreams is summarized in the vintage/older items that come my way when I am out so I love to pass on the elegance and style of times past.  

I have been smiling every since when I do laundry and iron.  *smile*

*hugz n blessings*
Elizabeth

Oh, p.s. if you happen to know of anyone that can give me an idea of the age or derivation of my little sprinkler, please let me know.  I SO want to get to know it a little better! Thanks! E

No comments:

Post a Comment