Monday, December 9, 2013

Cinnamon Chip Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies



Hardly anything says Christmas like cookies, so today I decided to get into the Christmas spirit a bit more and bake a batch of Cinnamon Chip Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies.  I have loved cinnamon chips for years and sometimes it is a little difficult to find them but if you tell your grocer that you would like some I guarantee they will order some for you.  I get a case at a time and toss them in the freezer for a year and I am good to go!  They can be added to scones, cookies and all sorts of other yummy goodies so head out and find you some.  If you can't find some, here's where you can order them so don't fret! 
 Hershey's Cinnamon Chips
Here's my favorite recipe to use them in so grab the kids, grand kids or your best friend and get going!

Cinnamon Chip Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies


1/2 cup butter flavored shortening (I use Crisco sticks)
1/2 cup margarine or butter (I use Blue Bonnet Light)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups quick oats, uncooked
1 package (10 oz) Hershey Cinnamon Chips
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1 cup coconut (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Cream together the shortening and margarine, then add the sugars, eggs and vanilla at medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy.  Sift together the dry ingredients and add slowly to mixture on low speed (Trust me, you DON'T want to wear this mixture!). When all are mixed together add the cinnamon chips, pecans and coconut.

Drop by rounded tablespoon 2 inches apart onto a prepared baking sheet (I use Pam when making cookies).  

Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove the cookies with a sharp spatula and let them cool on a rack.

Store in a loosely covered container or you can freeze them for up to a month!  

Makes approximately 5 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment