Monday, August 1, 2011

Frogs and Crickets and Chipmunks, Oh My!

Our family landed here in 2002 after leaving Belgium...I say landed because we felt like aliens since we were returning from a 6 year stay in Belgium and it felt odd seeing everything in English again.  We love Cascade, I love it more than the rest of the family, I believe.  During the winters, we have snow most Christmases, during the fall we have a multitude of leaves changing from their beautiful green to a color wheel of autumn color, every spring we see the birds making their homes in the trees surrounding our home and each summer, without fail, we have frogs and crickets and chipmunks!  Their harmony lulls us to sleep at night as they sing in unison.  It is so funny sometimes as it seems like one is answering the other.  I hardly EVER see any frogs or toads here but I have seen many a cricket and also several chipmunks.  We also have other families living here with us on our acre such as deer, groundhogs and tons of fireflies.  It is amazing.  Sometimes in the evening, just when the sun begins to set, we go out on the covered porch with a glass of iced tea and just watch as the fireflies rise up from the ground and talk with each other in their own little special language.  I've been told that there are MANY types of fireflies and it depends on how they move and flicker as to what family they belong to.  I guess we seem as foreign to them as they do to us.  Who knows.  All I do know is I am at home here in Cascade, Maryland and I am so very glad that God planted me here.  

*hugz n blessings*
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment