Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Start a New Life with Me!

Good morning!  I hope your week is going well.  I know mine is buzzing by and it is a little melancholy with my son headed out the door to college in Hawaii next Monday morning, so I thought I would brighten things up a bit and share something I love to do with you!

I don't know if many or any of you have ever started a plant before.  Lots of people are afraid to do this but in all actuality, it is one of the easiest things to do.  It just takes a bit of courage and Chutzpah.  If you set your mind to it, you can do it pretty easily, and if it fails, don't fret, you can have another chance!  Being in the military we have lived in several states and a couple of countries and during this time I have met so many wonderful people who have taught me so many wonderful things!  One of them was how to start new plants.  Her name was Mrs. Wilson and she lived behind us when we lived in my husband's hometown of Camden, Arkansas.  She took me (and my daughter Michille who was teeniny at the time) under her wing and showed us what we can do to help God make the earth more beautiful-by making things bloom.  I will always remember her and the love and kinship that we shared together.  

Anyway, enough with the reminiscing and onto the semi-tutorial.  It is quick and painless. I promise.  lol  

You will need:
Potting Soil
Xacto knife
sharp blade to slice off rose plant
Washed/clean gallon milk jug
Rootone or some other root starting medium
Oh, and your rose! lol

First of all, you will need a container to put your cuttings from your roses in so that they may be protected.  I know it looks majorly tacky but I used a milk jug container washed it and cut it in half so I am able to lower it when bad weather comes (such as the possible hurricane remnants this w/e) and the plants will not be too traumatized.  I used a knife to cut it all the way around but left  a bit of it attached right by the handle so that I could use it as a hinge/carrier.  Next I poked several (probably 7 or so) holes in the bottom of the jug.  I used an ice pick, you may use what you need.  After which I filled the bottom part of the jug with potting mix that has vermiculite in it so that has the proper "airiness".  lol  It will help it not to be too heavy so that the roots won't have to fight much to get started.  


Next open your Rootone or other root starting medium and then cut about 4-5 inch segment off the end of your rose bush, ensuring there are some leaves so that the plant can continue to get sunlight through its "solar panels" and hopefully gather enough energy to make roots and more leaves!  Immediately dip the end of the root into cool water and then into the rooting medium then lightly "poke" the plant down into the potting soil in the bottom part of the milk jug.  You should be able to get at least 4 cuttings in there.  Water it lightly and put the top half of the milk jug down on days that the weather is bad.  The jug will act like a terrarium if you keep the lid closed and occasionally flip the top back for more sunlight.  You don't need to water too often, just water when it becomes dry to the touch (about a fingertip down) and don't over water, just moisten lightly.  You don't want to drown the plants, just enough to help them to root.  Leave them for a few weeks, checking the water level and sunshine level and then when you see new little "red tinged" leaves, you will know that it took!  Leave it in the potting mix a couple more weeks and then transplant to a pot and voila!  You have a new rosebush!

If you have any questions, please email or call me.  
*hugz n blessings*
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment