Thursday, June 30, 2011

Be Careful!

Wow!  Isn't this beautiful weather we are having here in the Mid-Atlantic region as late.  I cannot believe it is June 30th.  The weather is usually hotter and definitely more humid, but don't get me wrong, I am GRATEFUL!

One of the greatest things about summertime is being able to "get back to nature" but there are dangers everywhere and we must pay attention and not become complacent while having our fun.  A few weeks ago I was out enjoying nature and unbeknownst to me I came in contact with poison oak.  I had never had ANY issues with it before and did not have any idea that the "weed" I was looking at was very poisonous.

We have lived in the south for more than half of our military careers and it seems as though I would have come across it before and learned my lesson then, but did not.  I came in and washed my hands with hot water not knowing that I was aiding in it's destruction of my skin.  I ended up breaking out in a rash from head to toe and having an allergic reaction to boot.  Jeff ended up taking me to the emergency room and the doctor stated that there is no quick cure for it but since I was having an allergic reaction and have asthma, he wanted to put me on Prednisone.  He told me I would begin to see a difference in 24/36 hours and he was right.

It took awhile for me to get over my bout of losing "Nature VS. Elizabeth" but I learned a stiff lesson from it.  I am including a wonderful photo of the three poisonous plants that are indigenous to our area and hope that you learn a bit from my lost battle.

*hugz n blessings*
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment